The Importance of Vitamin D
by: Kerry Jones, MPH, RDN, LDN, from Tiny Sprouts Foods
Vitamin D is sometimes referred to as the “sunshine vitamin” for the body’s unique ability to trigger production of this fat-soluble vitamin in response to sunlight exposure. Not only is Vitamin D unique in its production, but it also makes frequent news appearances due to claims of its levels in the body being tied to various disease states. So what really is vitamin D and how can you ensure your kids and yourself are getting enough of it?
In this article, we will cover the following:
- Vitamin D: Fact Sheet for Health Professionals. National Institutes of Health: Office of Dietary Supplements. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/#h3. Updated March 26, 2021.
- Chandler PD, Chen WY, Ajala ON et al. Effect of Vitamin D3 Supplements on Development of Advanced Cancer: A Secondary Analysis of the VITAL Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3(11): e2025850.
- Garland CF, Garland FC, Gorham ED et al. The Role of Vitamin D in Cancer Prevention. Am J Public Health. 2006; 96(2): 252-61.
- Holick MF, Binkley NC, Bischoff-Ferrari HA et al. Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96(7): 1911-30.
- Bouillon R. Comparative analysis of nutritional guidelines for vitamin D. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2017; 13(8): 466-79.
- Smith TJ, Lanham-New SA, Hart KH. Vitamin D in adolescents: Are current recommendations enough? J Steroid Biochem Mol Bio. 2017; 173: 265-72.
- Tripkovic L, Lambert H, Hart K et al. Comparison of vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 supplementation in raising serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D status: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 95(6): 1357-64.
- Shieh A, Chun RF, Ma C et al. Effects of High-Dose Vitamin D2 Versus D3 on Total and Free 25-Hydroxy vitamin D and Markers of Calcium Balance. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 101(8): 3070-8.
- Herrick KA, Storandt RJ, Afful J et al. Vitamin D status in the United States, 2011-2014. Am J Clin Nutr. 2019; 110(1): 150-7.
- Sahota O. Understanding vitamin D deficiency. Age Ageing. 2014; 43(5): 589-91.
- Kennel KA, Drake MT, Hurley DL. Vitamin D deficiency in adults: when to test and how to treat. Mayo Clin Proc. 2010; 85(8): 752-7.
- Frigstad SO, Høivik ML, JahnsenJ et al. Pain Severity and Vitamin D Deficiency in IBD Patients. Nutrients. 2019; 12(1): 26.
Kerry Jones, MPH, RDN, LDN is a pediatric & maternal registered dietitian, nutrition consultant for Tiny Sprouts Foods, and owner of Milestones Pediatric & Maternal Nutrition. Her goal is to help transition women into motherhood and then continue to support them and their children as they grow. Learn more about nutrition for your family at www.milestonesnutrition.com.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is based on the experience of the author and science-based research. It is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from a physician or other medical provider. This blog is not intended as a substitute for a consultation with a physician or other healthcare provider. The author is not responsible for any adverse effects or consequences resulting from the use of any suggestions discussed in this blog. It is important to talk to your doctor or your child’s pediatrician prior to starting any new medications or supplements.