5 Amazing Benefits of Flaxseeds for the Whole Family (Babies, Kids & Adults)
by: Tiny Sprouts Foods
Medically Reviewed by: Kerry Jones, MPH, RDN, LDN
Tiny but mighty, flaxseeds offer a multitude of amazing benefits for the whole family. Yes, that means your kids can safely consume and benefit from flaxseeds in their diet from the day they take their first bite! From supporting the immune system, to building brain function and digestive health, these nutrient dense seeds are a powerful source of protein, fats, vitamins, and other essential goodies to help the body thrive.1,2 They are an easy addition to any diet - simply add into almost any food or beverage! Let us take a deeper look into exactly how flaxseeds can benefit your entire family.
Medically Reviewed by:
Kerry Jones, MPH, RDN, LDN is a pediatric & maternal registered dietitian, nutrition consultant for Tiny Sprouts Foods, and owner of Milestones Pediatric & Maternal Nutrition. Her goal is to help transition women into motherhood and then continue to support them and their children as they grow. Learn more about nutrition for your family at www.milestonesnutrition.com.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is based on the experience of the author and science-based research. It is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from a physician or other medical provider. This blog is not intended as a substitute for a consultation with a physician or other healthcare provider. The author is not responsible for any adverse effects or consequences resulting from the use of any suggestions discussed in this blog. It is important to talk to your doctor or your child’s pediatrician prior to starting any new medications or supplements.
- Parikh M, Maddaford TG, Austria, JA, Aliani M, Netticadan T, Pierce GN. Dietary flaxseed as a strategy for improving human health. Nutrients. 2019; 11(5): 1171.
- Goyal A, Sharma V, Upadhyay N, Gill S, Sihag M. Flax and flaxseed oil: an ancient medicine & modern functional food. J Food Sci Technol. 2014; 51(9): 1633-53.
- Kuijsten A, Arts ICW, van't Veer P, Hollman PCH. The relative bioavailability of enterolignans in humans is enhanced by milling and crushing of flaxseed. J Nutr. 2005; 135(12): 2812-6.
- Austria JA, Richard MN, Chahine MN et al. Bioavailability of alpha-linolenic acid in subjects after ingestion of three different forms of flaxseed. J Am Coll Nutr. 2008; 27(2): 214-21.
- Seeds, flaxseeds. FoodData Central. U.S Department of Agriculture: Agricultural Research Service. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/169414/nutrients. Updated April 1, 2019.
- DRVs - Food Components. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/media/99059/download. Updated 2016.
- Myhrstad MCW, Tunsja H, Charnock C, Telle-Hansen VH. Dietary fiber, gut microbiota, and metabolic regulation - currently status in human randomized trials. Nutrients. 2020; 12(3): 859.
- Barber TM, Kabisch S, Pfeiffer AFH, Weickert MO. The Health Benefits of Dietary Fibre. Nutrients. 2020; 12(10): 3209.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids. National Institutes of Health: Office of Dietary Supplements. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Omega3FattyAcids-HealthProfessional/#h3. Updated October 1, 2020.
- Vitamin D. National Institutes of Health: Office of Dietary Supplements. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/#h3. Updated October 9, 2020.
- Probiotics: What You Need to Know. National Institutes of Health: National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/probiotics-what-you-need-to-know. Updated August 2019.
- Mu Y, Cong Y. Bacillus coagulans and its applications in medicine. Benef Microbes. 2019; 10(6): 679-88.
- Iron. National Institutes of Health: Office of Dietary Supplements. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron-HealthProfessional/#h3. Updated February 28, 2020.
- Calcium. National Institutes of Health: Office of Dietary Supplements. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-HealthProfessional/#h3. Updated March 26, 2020.
- Parikh M, Netticadan T, Pierce GN. Flaxseed: its bioactive components and their cardiovascular benefits. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2018; 312(2): H146-59.
- Tiny Sprouts Foods Organic Milled Flaxseed Nutrition Facts Table